My Qualifications and Training
- BA (Hons) Psychology
- Chartered Clinical Psychologist
- MSc Family Therapy and Systemic Practice
I trained in clinical psychology at University College and London Teaching Hospitals, and initially focused on cognitive behaviour therapy.
Over the years I have refined my therapeutic style to enable me to be more responsive to my clients' needs. I realised that I needed to understand my clients' difficulties in the context of their significant relationships. I therefore trained as a systemic therapist at the Institute of Family Therapy and the Kensington Consultation Centre whilst weaving cognitive behavioural ideas throughout. I added narrative approaches to my tool kit so that I could separate the problem from the person. I trained in third wave CBT which included compassion focused therapy and mindfulness based stress reduction. I find these approaches most useful for people who cause themselves endless suffering through shame and self-criticism.
Many of my clients seek therapy because of a history of psychological trauma, which can cause devastating effects on their wellbeing and relationships. I am fully trained in Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) which is a treatment for post traumatic stress.
Much of my work consists of helping people with relational trauma. Emotionally focused couple therapy is one such model which is used for distressed couples when a partner suffers from depression or post traumatic stress. This model is useful in identifying unwanted repetitive patterns which create relational distance. I have completed the externship training in emotionally focused couple therapy.
Membership of Professional Bodies
- British Psychological Society - Division of Clinical Psychology
- Associate Fellow of the BPS
- Register of Applied Psychology Practice Supervisors
- Register of the Association of Family Therapy & Systemic Practice
- Register of the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy
- Register of the Health & Care Professions Council
- Member of EMDR for UK & Ireland